1.ssay 1: Person I Admire
This essay assignment is the culmination of all your previous work in this module. You have
in this module. You have already engaged in the beginnings of the writing process of this essay. You have:
Brainstormed ideas (see Chapter 11 in SMG) about the essay in the Discussion Board.
Condensed your ideas down into manageable points around a working thesis.
Displayed knowledge of Description essays from Learning Activities
Drafted a Writing Activity (WA2) about this Description essay.
Consulted with a writing tutor to find areas of strength and areas of improvement.
Finally, you will now compose the final draft of a description essay that:
contains a clear thesis
identifies clear points to support your thesis
engages in critical thought about the subject chosen
uses 2-4 main ideas (points) that support your overall essay thesis
allows you to expand on your chosen topic
This essay assignment represents the first steps in writing any written essay for any academic course. The idea of thesis and support are the cornerstones of all essays. They represent the last part of the writing process. However, you may still revise your essay before final submission. This form of essay writing is the basis for all other academic writing pursuits. This skill translates to almost all careers that require critical thinking, critical reading, and responding in writing. Practicing "how to" write an essay carries over into any field's task of "what" you need to write. This skill will help with all formal writing.
Write a 900-word essay, in MLA format, about a person or fictional character in whom you have an interest.
Select a subject (person or fictional character you admire)
Look to your Discussion (D1) and Writing Activity 2 (WA2) for your subject
The person may be current or historical
Some fictional characters have positive traits that can be identified.
Select several (2-4) traits about the person or character that you admire and write about these. These will be the essay's main ideas.
Biographical information should be used only to support claims.
Your essay should focus on the traits you admire. Do not write a biography or tell a story.
Example of what not to do: This person was born in 1979. They were born in middle Tennessee. They went to elementary school is 1985. They graduated in 1998.
Instead, follow this example: This person was born in middle Tennessee. Entering elementary in school in 1985 was hard for them. They never felt that they belonged in kindergarten. However, they persevered, learning that school was a place for them to grow and be themselves.
Focus on the "why" you admire them instead of a list of traits. In the above example, perseverance and learning to be themselves are the traits the writer of the essay admires.
Organize your main ideas to establish the essay's pattern of organization.
Your main ideas (traits you have chosen) need to be clearly organized.
Decide in what order you wish to discuss these main ideas (traits)
This organization needs to be presented in your introduction, preferably as the last sentence of your introduction in the thesis statement.
Note: your thesis is generally the last sentence in your introduction, but it not a requirement.
Follow this structure throughout the rest of the essay.
Always check to see if your main ideas/topic sentences, in each paragraph, relate back to your thesis statement.
Compose 5 well-developed paragraphs that support a clear thesis statement that is arguable.
5 paragraph minimum
introduces your essay and presents your thesis
three body paragraphs
Each paragraph contains one of your chosen admirable traits about your subject
expressed in a topic sentence in your paragraph
Each trait needs to transition to the next one in the next paragraph
look to your chosen pattern of development
rephrases your traits into one last paragraph
reflects the earlier thesis, but with the knowledge of your traits expressed throughout the essay
This essay is a basic form of an argument essay. The essay should make an argument such as that the person or character selected is worthy of admiration because of the traits selected.
Criteria for Success
A successful essay:
Meets basic requirements of the assignment
Has been written by the student submitting the essay, for this class, and for this semester,
Does not contain plagiarism of any kind
Academic dishonesty is an offense of the NSCC Student Code of Conduct, punishable by a failing grade or zero
Has a clear thesis, main ideas, and pattern of organization
Has been carefully edited and proofread to minimize grammatical and other editing errors
These can be remedied by editing and with Writing Tutor visits and peer reviewing
Follows MLA style and guidelines (spacing, indent, margins, etc. )
The essay will be graded with the Grading Rubric for Essays. Please familiarize yourself with this rubric before you submit your essay. Here is the condensed version of the rubric:
2.Respond to ALL FOUR QUESTIONS. Each question carries 5 marks. Response to each question attempted should be at least 500
ould be at least 500 words. The document should adhere to APA guidelines. Please state the question and then post your answer below the Question.
Q1. How does marketing research help in the marketing planning process? Use a hypothetical business (e.g. a small sporting goods store, local hardware manufacturing small business, an independent publishing company, etc.) to discuss how market research helps in compiling market intelligence with regard to aspects such as product decisions, customer segmentation decisions, brand and pricing decisions, keeping stakeholders happy.
Q2. NuVision Lens, a mail-order contact lens company has struggled to break even after being five years in the eyewear market. The company’s founders had thought that high demand would exist for mail-order supply as a low-cost alternative to purchasing contact lenses at optical outlets. However, the market share of NuVision continues to be much less than the retail stores. NuVision Lens has hired you as their marketing consultant. Outline the steps that you will take to formulate a problem statement and research objective on the above situation.
Q3. Your friend, Ms.Destiny Brown is the CEO and founder of ‘Hide and Chic’ an upscale leather goods store based in Houston, Texas. Ms. Brown is actively considering to expand her company’s product line to include sports accessories including golf gloves, premium quality leather grips for tennis, squash, racquetball, badminton rackets, leather sports bags, etc. She has hired you to undertake a marketing research study to determine whether a market exists among retail outlets and sporting goods distributors in Houston, for these specialty items under the ‘Hide and Chic’ brand name.
Define and describe the target population for this study?
Discuss the sampling methods that could be used in this study.
Recommend, with reasons, the most optimal sampling procedures for this study.
Q4. Farm Fresh Grocery’ (FFG) has always used paper bags for sacking groceries. However, management has noticed that some competitors are offering reusable bags to their customers. FFG management has asked you to find out if its current customers would prefer bringing the reusable bags every time they visit the FFG store. A) Select two projective techniques to use in your research. Give reasons for your choice. B) Describe in detail how your two chosen techniques would be applied to this research problem.
4.1) Which of the following statements about scientific methods / theories is correct?
a) A scientific theory must be able to
a) A scientific theory must be able to be proven.
b) A scientific theory has been derived from known facts and always applies.
c) A scientific method should give different results depending on who performs the method.
d) Knowledge of our surroundings usually emerges through an interplay between theory and experiment.
2) The sides of a straight block are measured to 3,202 cm; 0.0012 cm and 11.2 cm, respectively. Calculate the volume of the straightening block and enter it with the correct number of value digits.
Number of words: 0
3) A 9.2 dm long and evenly thick rod rests on a support. 0.55 dm from one end, a dynamometer is hung so that the rod will hang horizontally. Then the dynamometer shows 4.4 N. How much does the bar weigh?
Number of words: 0
4) A bar AB that is homogeneous and evenly thick has a length of 2.70 m and is rotatable about an axis at A. The bar weighs 25 kg and is kept in equilibrium by a force F which has its point of attack in B. is 45 degrees. How big is the force F?
25 * 9.82 = 245.5 N
Number of words: 6
5) A trolley rolls at a constant speed to the right. On the cart is an upward cannon that suddenly shoots a bullet. The carriage continues to the right with the same speed as before. Where does the bullet end up when it falls? For a detailed reasoning.
Number of words: 0
6) A river is 200 m wide. The water in the river flows at a speed of 2.5 m / s. A motorboat steers across the river at its maximum speed, which in stagnant water is 5.0 m / s. The boat is constantly heading perpendicular to the banks of the river. Where does the motorboat land on the other shore?
Number of words: 0
7) A ball with a mass of 2.0 hg moves at a constant speed in a circular path. The radius of the track is 1.5 m and it takes the ball 3.0 seconds to move one turn. How big is the centripetal force?
Number of words: 0
8) A bullet moves at a constant speed. Can we then safely say that the resultant of the forces acting on the bullet is zero? Motivate and discuss your answer.
Number of words: 0
9) A conductor is located between the poles of a permanent magnet. The current in the conductor goes in the direction of the plane of the paper (away from the reader). How is the force acting on the leader directed?
a) To the right of the figure
b) To the left in the figure
c) Downwards in the figure
d) Upwards in the figure
10) Protons enter horizontally from the left between two large metal plates at a speed v = 0.80 Mm / s. The plates are connected to a voltage source with the pole voltage U. Between the plates there is a homogeneous magnetic field with a flux density of 38 mT directed perpendicular to the plane of the paper. The distance between the plates is 1.5 cm. They want the protons to continue with unchanged direction and speed between the plates. Which of the plates should be connected to the positive pole of the voltage source and how large should the voltage U be?
Number of words: 0
11) The magnetic flux Φ through a 700-speed coil decreases linearly with time according to the diagram below. Calculate the voltage across the coil at time t = 1.0 ms.
12) The current in a coil with an inductance of 35 mH has a growth rate of 6.2 A / s at a given moment. What is the instantaneous value of the ems induced in the coil?