5.Directions: You are part of a fireworks crew assembling a local fireworks display.
There are two parts to the fireworks platforms:
rts to the fireworks platforms: one part is on the ground and the
other part is on top of a building. You are going to graph all of your results on one
coordinate plane. Make sure to label each graph with its equation. Use the following
equations to assist with this assignment.
• The function for objects dropped from a height where t is the time in
seconds, h is the height in feet at time it t, and 0 h is the initial height is
0 ht t h ( ) 16 =− + .
• The function for objects that are launched where t is the time in seconds, h is
the height in feet at time t, 0 h is the initial height, and 0 v is the initial velocity
in feet per second is 2
0 0 ht t vt h ( ) 16 =− + + .
Select the link below to access centimeter grid paper for your portfolio.
Centimeter Grid Paper
First, conduct some research to help you with later portions of this portfolio
• Find a local building and estimate its height. How tall do you think the
• Use the Internet to find some initial velocities for different types of fireworks.
What are some of the initial velocities that you found?
Respond to the following items.
1. While setting up a fireworks display, you have a tool at the top of the
building and need to drop it to a coworker below.
a. How long will it take the tool to fall to the ground? (Hint: use the first
equation that you were given above, 2
0 ht t h ( ) 16 =− + . For the building’s
height, use the height of the building that you estimated in Task 1.)
b. Draw a graph that represents the path of this tool falling to the
ground. Be sure to label your axes with a title and a scale. Your graph
should show the height of the tool, h, after t seconds have passed.
Label this line “Tool”.